[VHFcontesting] Big Iron: Chasing VUCC With Indoor Antennas Blog

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Wed Jun 25 19:18:38 EDT 2008

With tongue firmly in cheek, I've started a blog to help journal my persona quest towards earning VUCC on the low bands using indoor antennas. You can view the first few posts, along with some photos of my shack and attic antenna installation at:

http://n1lf.blogspot.com/

It's called "Big Iron" with a nod towards the old Marty Robbins gunfighter ballad. Working at a place called "High Noon" exposes one to quite a bit of Western culture, and while installing my antennas, I found myself humming that one. It's actually a very small installation, but it does convert every usable inch of space in my attic into gain...and in that sense, it's "Big Iron" for me.

While getting started in VHF/UHF, I never seemed to find a site that was completely geared towards beginners in weak signal work. A lot of sites lead me to good information, but a lot of it assumed a level of knowledge that I didn't have, or it gave a brief introduction with the bare bones, and no way to follow up for additional information. Hopefully my blog will be able to point out my mistakes, pass along places where I find knowledge and help other newcomers get up to speed much quicker than I have.

Comments welcome!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf