[VHFcontesting] Compact VHF + Beams

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Thu Jun 26 12:07:19 EDT 2008

I run both loops and Yagis in my attic, and while the loops are far easier, they don't match the performance of the Yagi's. I'd certainly vote for the Directive Systems "Rover" series of Yagis. The only modification that mine required was to move the "U-Bolt" to the true center of the antenna to shorten the turning radius.

I had thought about the Par Electronics Maxxon's but went with a 3 element Yagi for 6 Meters instead. It just barely fits due to the element length, not the boom length, but it works very well. I've been able to work almost everyone that my nearby friend and neighbor does on 6, and he's running 7 elements at 75 feet and 500 watts. As many have said, when the band is open, it's open!

If you're interested in WSJT for 2 Meters, a smaller beam actually has been proven to work better than the bigger Yagis. The reason is that a 5 or 6 element beam has a much wider beamwidth and "sees" more of the sky...this provides a larger number of potential "pings" to carry the signals. Optimum for WJST seems to be 6 elements. There was an article a while back in CQ VHF about tests done in NZ and AU on the subject.

Indoor beams will never compete well with outdoor antennas, but they can be made to perform pretty darn well.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film