[VHFcontesting] Radio Shack TV Rotors

Anthony Rick asrick at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 19:21:17 EDT 2008

It may be that you need to re-lubricate the gears.  The heavy weight gear
lube denatures after about 5 years of collecting depri and moisture and
turns into a ridged paste. WD-40 may exacerbate the problem because it is
actually a better solvent than a lubricant.  It will wash away the heavy
gear lube and then evaporate, leaving less even lubricant.

My advice is to take it apart and spread some bearing grease around the
gears. I usually use marine grade bearing grease (the blue stuff) because it
is less affected by water and salt.

Here is some basic instruction for getting these things apart.  This is just
off the top of my head so it may not be exact:

1) Use a large plastic storage bin for your workspace.  You will need this
because once you pull the shaft out of the gearbox all off the bearings will
roll out.  The first time I did this I was on my hands and knees with a
flashlight trying to find where the bearings went.

2)  Take out the bottom screws and pull off the bottom cover

**In the following steps think of a way to mark the alignment of the shaft
and gear set.  Their is a limited sweet spot (a few teeth) in which the
shaft and gears will work properly.  Of you end up off the mark you will not
get 360 degrees of rotation

3) Remove the snap ring from the shaft

4) Pull the shaft out from the top of the rotator

5) Now you should be able to pull out the whole gear set and motor from the
bottom

6) Use a degreaser to clean everything ( I used brake cleaner) and then
re-lubricate.

7) in reassembly, you will need to balance the bearings on a small
circular impression that they can roll off of before the shaft is inserted.
I found that covering them with a large glob of bearing grease holds them in
place pretty well but it still may take a few tries.

Good luck!

Anthony
NR9R