[VHFcontesting] A question of altitude

k4gun at comcast.net k4gun at comcast.net
Thu Mar 6 11:39:02 EST 2008

I'm getting closer to finishing my new rover set-up and I am being presented with yet another quandary.  As I'm sure you all know, I'm doing a "limited rover" station.  I have a tower section that will be bolted into the bed of the truck with a rotator in the base of it.  My current question has to do with whether or not I put in a telescoping mast.  With a non-telescoping, I would not even have to step out of the truck at each operating location.  Just turn on the rotator and start calling.  The maximum height off the ground would be close to 13'.  The 6 meter moxon would be at this elevation and the 144, 222 and 432 would be lower.  The lowest one would be about 8.5' off the ground.

Alternately, I could make a telescoping mast.  Depending on if I did a one or 2 section telescoping mast, the 6 meter could be between 17 to 21' high with the others below that.  The trade off is time to set-up and ruggedness.  With a single mast without sections, there is no shaking or joints to worry about.

I realize that the extra few feet isn't going to be enough to get me over terrain.  Would it affect the gain of the antenna to have it higher than 13'?  If so, how much?  Is it enough to notice and is it worth the hassle?  My instinct says to keep it simple.  Is that instinct correct?

As usual, thanks for the help you guys always provide.

Steve
K4GUN