[VHFcontesting] A question of altitude

k4gun at comcast.net k4gun at comcast.net
Thu Mar 6 14:42:57 EST 2008

I have one more follow up question to this.  I'm not sure there is a simple answer, but I'll ask anyway.  Where does an elevation measurement matter?  This doesn't have to do with terrain issues, but when discussing how elevation affects the angle of radiation, I'm wondering how my proximity to cliffs, drop-offs and bridges changes things.

For instance, several of the places from which I transmitted in the last contest were close to drops.  Look at a bridge.  While the antenna may be 13' above the road on which the truck is parked, the truck may be 20' from a ledge that drops an additional 20'.  When modeling the antenna would you use the 13' or the 33'?  How close or far from a drop could you be to take this into account?

From: jcplatt1 at mmm.com