[VHFcontesting] A question of altitude .

Carrington, Walter Walter.Carrington at umassmed.edu
Thu Mar 6 21:50:20 EST 2008

How accurate are the results for 2 meters for YT?  Anybody know?
I've gotten some puzzling answers from YT.  I don't have a tower  at my home QTH and have had my 2m yagi at 10' to 12' above ground. YT says good ground gain at that height but I'm not sure how much to believe it. Results have been much better than expected,  but I suspect putting it up to 50' or 60' would be better still.  Being on a hill helps a lot.

How far above ground should a yagi be to avoid any loss to ground interactions? (for a Cushcraft 17B2, about 30' long).

--Walter, K1CMF