[VHFcontesting] Climate input used in SPLAT!

James Duffey JamesDuffey at comcast.net
Sat Mar 8 12:28:26 EST 2008

Paul - Yes, you are correct and I alluded to that in my original post:

> The are a couple of things one needs to look out for, I noticed that
> it calculates the path loss assuming vertical polarization and  it
> defaults to the temperate climate model. Assuming vertical
> polarization probably is a few dB down on horizontal polarization for
> troposcatter and in some locals a better climate model should be used.
> The desert option would be nice here in NM.

The original SPLAT! Linux program has the ability to change between 5
or 6 climate models, including the temperate one that is used in the
web page, it also includes a tropical one, desert one, and a coastal
one. I would like to see the desert one implemented as those are the
conditions we most likely encounter here in NM.

The program is probabilistic and is based on what is essentially an
empirical model. So the numbers it calculates are for 50% likelihood
of occurrence. One of course waits for the 50% when the path loss is
less.

The Linux version does offer the opportunity to change the climate
model. But it also requires one to download and process an extensive
database. The web page based calculation is straight forward and less
frustrating to implement.

I realize the limitations in models. They certainly are not to be
blindly followed. But they are a useful tool and in my case I find
SPLAT! to be useful in identifying good spots to rove from and also to
see how the coverage will change when I change antennas or power. In
particular, incorporating terrain into the model helps immensely in
NM, as we are far from flat and the conventional approaches such as
the graphs in the handbook are not too useful. I certainly did mean to
imply that SPLAT! is an exact calculation and if I left that
impression I apologize to you and the list.

This brings to mind a quote that I refer to often in my work:

"Nobody believes the model except the modeler; everybody believes the
experiment except the experimenter."

I will try "impossible" paths when I rove, and I have made a few. But
with some knowledge of what to expect, I won't expend a lot of effort
trying that path when there are others to work on paths with less
loss. In NM during contests we usually have lots of time to try
difficult paths though.

I hope we can work in June on Sporadic E. See you then. - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey