[VHFcontesting] Rover Grid Circle Achievements

pipkin29292 at mypacks.net pipkin29292 at mypacks.net
Thu Nov 20 07:41:17 EST 2008

>From AH8M/R

Wow ! I am shocked at all the QRM postings about pack rovers. ( I am not one by the way )
Leave the rules alone. This is a very enjoyable contest with something for everyone.

I want to quote a comment from someones's earlier posting:

There is no "spirit of the rules". There are only the rules. This may
seem harsh, but it is the only rationale way a contest can be run.

There are no abuses of the rules, or exploiting, etc.
Each contester has to carefully study the rules, devise a strategy that favors them, and go out there and have fun.

Speaking as a rover that runs all bands from 50 MHZ to 2304 MHZ and currently assembling 3456 MHZ capability, my hats off to the guys out West that put those stations together and put those miles on to circle those grids. I know from experience how much work and expense it is to participate at that level. I also applaud the strategic savory of limited rovers that picked four high bands and went out and worked grid corners. It's much like a poker match. You learn the rules and then get in there and play the game.

I operate from Florida which is a distinct disadvantage. There are no high activity population centers, and we are surrounded by water grids. Yet, the last two June Contest, I have come in first in the region as Rover class with no special rules changes to give me a break for being in a tough location. Frankly both times six meters was a big help. I have very good friends in the area that really wanted certain rare grids ( EL86 & EL94 ) on microwave in their log, but when six meters opened I left the high bands and pumped out the grid contacts on six to get the multipliers. Some people that needed a certain grid on microwave were disappointed, but that's the way the rules worked and they understood. Tough location or not, we all got in the contest and had a good time. I knew I could not beat anyone on the national level because of my location but did not form a grudge against the guys in the North East with big population centers and mountain tops, or the guys out West that had grid corners that could be driven to. Both those groups had real achievements that should be appreciated and respected.

Asking for logs to be published so we can prove a point that a certain strategy was employed is unnecessary because we already know the "offending" strategy was accomplished. More power to them, even though they beat me. The good sports are those that appreciate the other contesters accomplishments. I'm impressed with their savvy and well deserved scores higher than mine.

73's AH8M/R