[VHFcontesting] More Roving

John Geiger aa5jg at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 13:44:29 EST 2008

--- On Thu, 11/20/08, Marshall Williams <k5qe at sabinenet.com> wrote:

 We will never get new hams / new rovers to
> participate if
> they know that the system is rigged against them.  If grid
> circling
> becomes pervasive, the normal rovers will disappear,
> because they will
> know that they have no chance.

In terms of single op low power operating, the system is already rigged against me:

1. I live in an area with much less VHF activity than the Northeast or West Coast.  It even has less activity than I experienced when I lived in Iowa and Illinois, so there is no chance I will ever win my category.

2. I live in an area with less tropo and enhancement than other areas typically get, so my chances of getting propagation help is less than other areas are getting.

3. I have very limited funds and space to put up antennas and buy radios.  Right now I am only QRV on 6m and 2m with 100 watts or less on both bands and low, fairly small yagis (3 ele and 11 ele respectively).

I go into a contest with these things against me, knowing I don't have a chance in the world of winning my category, yet I participate anyways.  WHY??? Possibly because it is fun???

73s John AA5JG
Lawton, OK-EM04to