[VHFcontesting] 5.8 Ghz phones

Bill Burgess ve3cru at rac.ca
Thu Nov 20 20:49:32 EST 2008

I own a 5.8 Ghz cordless phone and have received conflicting information on their use in amateur radio.

An American stated they are banned from amateur use due to "spectral impurity, excessive bandwidth" by the FCC.  I am unaware of any restrictions here in Canada.

Have cordless phones been modified for contesting in the past?  Not seen any articles in QST recently.  Think older phones may have also been in the ham spectrum as shared frequencies.

Bill   VE3CRU/R