[VHFcontesting] rig recommendations for portable operation

Shupienis, Joseph jshupienis at ccac.edu
Fri Nov 28 07:11:42 EST 2008

Hi Ted -

I am currently using the Icom 7000 which I specifically bought for roving and general mobile operation.

The IF-DSP (in actuality a Software Defined Radio) provides the ability to pull out the weakest of the "weak signals" we are trying to work in these contests. The rig compares favorably with the single-band IC-271A and IC-471A, and has the advantage that it is already mounted in the Rover Wagon.

Out of the box, the 2M and 440 MHz total receive gain is set artificially low in deference to channelized FM operation in urban intermod situations. This was an easy "problem" to fix -- a visit to the service manual, a magic button combo, and an HT for use as a signal generator resulted in a world class weak signal receiver in about 5 minutes.

The bandscope is another very useful feature, both for seeing other activity while running a frequency, and especially when 6 opens up.

Finally, the built-in CW and Voice memory keyers are very useful.

If you can, take some time to put one through its paces before you buy anything else. If you give it a thorough workout, I think your choice will become clear.

73 de Joe, W3NC