[VHFcontesting] rig recommendations for portable operation--FT897D comments

Dan Evans dan.evans at insightbb.com
Fri Nov 28 09:28:52 EST 2008

OK, now I understand.

I remember reading about the oscillation issue before, but even though I
have made several hundred 6m contest QSO's in the past year mine has
never had a problem.  My rig was a "one owner", but was practically
unused when I bought it.  But, it did have one repair.   Another common
problem with the '897 is the RIT knob is very fragile.   Just before
shipping the rig to me the previous owner knocked the rig over on a
table, the knob hit and broke.   He sent it in and had it repaired.
I'll bet while they were fixing the knob,  the PCB board was tightened.
And so, no 6m problems with my rig...

I know I couldn't believe that I would be "lucky" enough to get one
without a problem.  It usually works the other way for me!

I'm also on the 897 yahoo group, but I have to admit I ignore most of
the traffic there.  Most of it seems to be the same "entry level"
questions / info over and over... I'll likely drop that list soon.

73
Dan
--
K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269 Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla> List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books