[VHFcontesting] 1296 station improvement

Radioman radioman01 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 20 15:10:55 EDT 2008

Ed,
I use just about the same equipment, a IC-910 and 45 element looper and
about 45 feet of LMR-400, but I do use a mast mounted pre-amp, (the ICOM
version) I could not have worked all the stations I do without it. It’s a
must, but if you're worried about more power on 1.2 I wouldn't, the thing to
worry about is the local tree line, when I was below the tree line for lack
a better terms it sucked, but now I got above the tree line, or close to it
I worked more, or at least more stations can hear me.

I'd start by stepping up that 20 something looper to a 45 plus, and get it
in the clear, unless you have a clear shot to the horizon a 23 or 25 element
is waste of money, I used to have a 35 element M2 for years and a 45
directive out did it, now I'm thinking about the 55 element, that I should
have done in the first place..

Tony
NN1D

Computer Services Administrator