[VHFcontesting] 222 and 902 logging

Michael E Fox (N6MEF) n6mef at mefox.org
Thu Oct 23 17:17:28 EDT 2008

Thanks to several of you for all of the great info on 222 and 902/3
transverters.  I've started reading up on the several vendors mentioned.

My next question is about logging.  The logging program (I use N1MM)
typically inserts the frequency data into the QSO record.  But, if I'm using
a transceiver on 10m for IF into a transverter, I would assume that N1MM
would try to record the 10m frequency, rather than the transverter
frequency.

Questions:

1)  Is there a way to feed the correct band/freq data to the logging program
so that it records the actual frequency, rather than the IF?

2)  The Elecraft K2 documentation says that it will display the actual
transverter frequency on its display.  Does anyone know if it also passes
that along to the logging program?

3)  It seems that with some bands available on SSB rigs, some on
transverters, different transverter IFs (10m for VHF/UHF transverters and 2m
for UHF/SHF transverters) and other complexities, a VHF contestor is pretty
much looking at a minimum of a 2-radio set-up, each with multiple
transverters, with all of the complexity commonly associated with SO2R
(logging, mic, key, foot switch, etc.).  What are good sources for me to
educate myself on the best practices in constructing such a station?

Thanks in advance,
Michael - N6MEF