[VHFcontesting] North Atlantic Propagation: Iceland to Faroe Islands

Carrington, Walter Walter.Carrington at umassmed.edu
Fri Oct 24 11:05:59 EDT 2008

I came across this amusing article on TV reception of Faroe Islands in Iceland (about 500 miles).
It seems pretty good dx for the north atlantic in October with minimal equipment. Maybe there is still hope for us southerners (Mass.) The picture of the TV isn't quite good enough to be sure it was a rabbit ears antenna.
http://newiceland.net/?id=11
'A young Schoolteacher, Hildur Hildibrandsdottir, of Hveragerdi, accidentally picked up a signal from the Faroese national TV after days of watching nothing but endless static on her TV-set.
"I wasn't really looking, since I had lost all hope of ever being able to watch any sort of TV program ever again," Hildur told NewIceland. "I just switched it on, like always when I came home from work. After a while I thought I heard someone speak in a strange and exotic language through the static so I fine tuned my TV a bit and Voila! There he was; my old friend Matlock speaking Faroese. It was fantastic!" '

--Walter, K1CMF