[VHFcontesting] 222 and 902 equipment

James Duffey JamesDuffey at comcast.net
Sun Oct 26 12:33:36 EDT 2008

Michael, you wrote:

	"I'd like to get on 222 and 902MHz for contest. I don't seem to be
able to find radios. Are transverters the only 	option now-a-days?
What are good sources of radio gear for these bands?"
As your research has shown, there aren't any new all mode radios made
for these bands. This is largely due to 222 MHz being a region 1 band
allocation only.
If you want new gear, transverters are the only way to go. I have an
Elecraft XV-222, which is a good performer. But it drifts noticeably
from a cold start and gets hot at full power and high duty cycle, like
a contest. The Elecraft is a kit. I use it with an HTX-100 IF  rig,
but it really comes into its own with the K2 as an IF. I find the 222
MHz performace with the Elecraft to be slightly better than my 144 MHz
setup. Elecraft does not make a 902 transverter.
Downeast Microwave makes a nice transverter for 222 MHz and 902 MHz,
which you can get either as a kit or fully assembled. It too is a nice
performer, but I have not used one. DEM has a long wait list for fully
assembled gear though.
You can also get new transverters from SSB Electronics and Kuehne
Electronics, but they are quite a bit more expensive than the DEM and
Elecraft.
Used 222 MHz gear is a good way to go, but it is scarce. Look at
QTH.com. You will find perhaps a half dozen 222 MHz transverters
offered for sale over the course of a year.
The Yaesu 736R had a 222 MHz module available, but it is expensive
when found. The Icom 375, an all mode 222 MHz rig, is a collector's
item and they are very expensive when offered for sale.
Sinclair Labs, Sinclab, offered a 222 MHz transverter in the 90s and
those are occasionally found used.
This topic recurs from time to time on the list. You can search the
archives for other input on this topic. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey