[VHFcontesting] Another DEMI transverter question

k4gun at comcast.net k4gun at comcast.net
Thu Oct 30 10:32:29 EDT 2008

As long as others are asking newb questions about transverters, I figure I'll throw mine into the mix as well.  For the last two VHF contests, I've been using a homebrew unit attached to my IC746Pro.  It was set up by a local club member and its worked fine while I've waited for my DEMI 28-222HP transverter to come in.

Well, its here now and I'm very excited to have 60 watts out and a modern unit for the next contest.  I'm also looking forward to running all 4 bands off my IC7000 instead of having to turn around backwards in the rover to operate 222.  Everything seems pretty straight forward, but there was no manual with the unit.  I looked on the DEMI web site and found the manual to the standard power model, but not the high power.  I also read the product description.  I have to confess that much of it reads like jibberish to my non-technical brain.

Even with that, I have figured everything out except for two last questions.

1.  The product description seems to indicate that the drive power doesn't matter all that much.  Here's the quote:  " On transmit, with the proper options, any 28 MHz IF drive level from –20 dBm to 10 watts, will produce +60 watts of output power."  Is it really that non-specific?  I don't have a watt meter so I'd be quite pleased if I don't have to worry about the drive power as long as its low.

2.  The  IC7000 doesn't have an RCA jack for PTT-ground.  I have the 14 pin accessory plug that I have already wired a VHF PTT-ground for my 144 and 432 amps.  I will be making a wire to run from the HF PTT-ground for keying this transverter.  My question is which part of the RCA plug do I connect that wire to?  Pretty remedial question, I know, but I want to do this right.

Hmmm... I know I said there were only two questions, but while I'm at it, let me make sure of one other issue.  Because I'm going to be running both 6 meters and the transverter off the same radio, how do I best handle the PTT-ground?  I will have the HF antenna line going to a switch that will divide between my 6 meter antennas and the transverter.  When I'm on 6 meters, will it hurt anything to leave the keying jack live to the transverter?  I had planned on installing a switch so it didn't key it when I'm on 6 meters, but is that needed?

[...]

Oh... and so you know, the IC7000 will hold different power out levels for different bands.  I can set 10 meters to 10 watts out and 6 to the full 100 out.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve

K4GUN/R