[VHFcontesting] Help mounting a new radio in a new car

Walter - K5EST walter.k5est at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 16:58:29 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the slightly off-topic post, but I figured this group would
> be the best for this question....
>
> I just bought a new car...a relatively expensive one.  I have an
> FT-7800R dual band FM rig that I want to mount.  I put the radio in
> the trunk, but I'm having trouble figuring out a good way to mount the
> head.

....Don't know what kind of car, but does it have an ash tray built
into the dash that you could extend a steel frame to mount the
radio head?

My second thought, and it works for my vehicles, is to get under
the dash and find at least 2 solid anchor points or bolts that
you can attach a steel angle frame to curve under the dash
and out to the driver's compartment area.

Another mounting I have seen that is pretty nice is a
mount of the radio head on the steering column and
run the control wires under the column. With all the
plastic on vehicles now days it should not be very
hard to accomplish this mounting.

Now you have me curious as to what kind of antenna
your mobile ham shack is gonna be sporting?

73....Walter - K5EST