[VHFcontesting] Terminating Coax Runs in Rover Vehicles

N8UM n8um at comcast.net
Fri Apr 17 09:59:00 PDT 2009

The final connection from the rig/amp to the feedline in a rover situation can be messy and subject to shifting or even pulling the rig out the window if you hit a tree limb

The other issue is knowing if you are putting out power and your swr is stable.  There were many contests that I discovered after returning home that I was CQing without any power out.

One solution is to use Bird 43 meters, but separate the sensor element (line section) from the meter.

Bird once sold a nice mounting bracket that fits over the ugly and ungainly line section.  I had access to a number of line sections, so I just mounted them all on a 3 x 36 x ½ in board behind the rigs in a vertical position (QC connector to antenna pointing up, QC connector to rig/amp pointing down.).  Using QC adapters, I could select my coax termination type (N, uhf, 5/16 DIN) and easily calculate the exact cable length I would need from the outside antenna to the line section board.  If any of the antennas ever came loose and dragged down the highway, the tension was on the line section connector that is a lot cheaper to replace than a TS-2000 or FT-290MkIII.  You can route the output from the line sections to one meter and switch between bands or use multiple meters.  I chose to take the meters out of the Bird cases and stack them vertically in 3 inch long cylinders of sch 40 PVC plumbing pipe.  You could probably also use the W1GHZ bargraph meter sold by DEMI in lieu of a 30 uA Bird meter movement.

By having all the line sections in one place, selecting and matching the right length of coax from the rig/amp to the line section location is a piece of cake.   It allowed use of 18 inch jumpers of Andrew ½ inch hardline with right angle N connector on one end to go from the rig to the line section/feedline.   If you are caught in a thunderstorm, disconnecting all the coax feeds can be accomplished rapidly since they are all in one place and accessible.

I used a Chevy Astro that had a flip out side window that popped open about 3 inches at the bottom.   That was enough room to route all my feedlines and rotator control cable into the vehicle.  I them cut pieces of closed cell foam like the kind sold as kneeling pads for gardening and sealed up the 3 sides of the swing out window.  A nice dressing of duct tape (replaced several times a season due to UV degradation) provided a weather tight seal.  I never worried about security.  I figured if someone wanted to break into the van they would find a way regardless of my security plans.

Why am I telling this story?  The line sections I used are excess to my needs.  I just had my second knee totally replaced and will be out of rover action for at least a season or two.  I am selling the line section, mounting frame/bracket, and Bird connecting cable/adaptor (you select 3, 10 or 20 ft length), and 2 QC connectors (you specify N, uhf or 5/15 DIN) as a package for $120 and I will pay cost of shipping in the CONUS.  All items are in like new condition and I am the original owner.  Look at my ads posted at QTH.com swaplist for pictures.

John B.  N8UM  Oak Ridge, Tennessee