[VHFcontesting] converting a par moxon

John D'Ausilio jdausilio at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 06:49:06 PDT 2009

So I'm in the process of putting the Jitney back together (again!) for
this season, and generally I like to run the par moxon in June in case
we get some Es (we ran a Saturn 6 omni in September). I pulled out my
various moxon parts and discovered that I don't have all the pieces to
put one together .. I've got a front bar in good shape, another front
bar on which the ends have become too mangled to use, and one set of
side poles and rear wire on which one of the side poles has broken an
inch from the end where it slides into the front bar. I'm going to try
and find a piece of replacement tubing this week (5/16"OD aluminum
with ID just a shade under 1/4"), but it also occurred to me that I
could take the mangled front bar and turn it into an N2MH-style
non-stressed Moxon that might better survive the various tree/object
impacts that a rove subjects it to (it's the top antenna on the front
mast, right around 11 1/2').

Off to the Homely Depot, and $20 worth of aluminum angle + another $20
in stainless hardware from the local corner hardware .. slapped
together something based on the n2mh numbers. Put it up on a pole, but
it resonates way higher than expected :(  Now I'm wondering exactly
what's inside that black box at the par feedpoint .. has anyone opened
one up? For that matter has anyone else attempted to convert a par
stressed moxon into a non-stressed moxon?

de w1rt/john