[VHFcontesting] VHFcontesting] 432 Sprint

Steve Tripp (K1IIG) stephen.tripp at snet.net
Thu Apr 23 12:29:16 PDT 2009

 Howdy to all,

Not as many contacts as I hoped, but did manage to work a mere 23Q and 8G in
2hours before all my calling (1kw) went unanswered. Others in the area did
better and my friend, K1TEO, worked all that I did in 20minutes of calling.
It was fun listening to him pile up the calls and finding out I could hear
80% of them (not bad from my station).  The fun challenges remain and mostly
require me to improve my system for better results.

Easily worked Phil, K3TUF and K1WHS with great signals although K1WHS had
some weird multipath which I have never heard even on 1296 or 2304, must
have been the dam mice eating his connections.

Upgrades here in progress:

10ghz Demi 2 watt transverter here in box + Directive ~2' dish waiting for
assembly to be used on tower and portable use. Today working on  $10 OCXO
(crystal in a heated can) being tested and so far +/-1hz at 999mhz with
IFR1500 locked to GPS.  Final test will be at 10ghz when Demi is connected
to see how reliable it will be for portable useage with external OCXO. At
home I will be using a Z3801 GPS locked to the Apollo32. I will configure
these with switching for external/internal useage for home and mobile.

Ordered 3456mhz Demi and stacked 8elements from Directive (please do not
encourage Dave with emails until my order is filled..hihi).  8-10w amp
purchased and will decide how to tower mount system.

New tower, antennas, feedlines etc. might be in the wind. This V/U stuff is
fun and mucho $$$$$.

Again, thanks to sponsors for all Sprint warm ups.

Steve
K1IIG