[VHFcontesting] ssb question?

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Sun Aug 16 13:39:57 PDT 2009

Hello everyone....I hate to get involved in these "mine is bigger than
yours" contests.  But, here goes.....My personal best is 1604 miles from
EM31 to KY1K in FN54.  This happened during an intense Es opening
7/6/04.  Art was somewhat amazed to find out that I was in Texas.  I was
pretty stoked too, as ME was a new state for me on 2M.  I worked 4 new
states in the New England area that day.  What a day!!!!!

I am SURE that there are other SSB contacts that will exceed this.  I
have made a few SSB contacts off the moon, one to Russia and one to
Mississippi at 150 miles!!!  The really big stations can work SSB off
the moon almost any day.  I guess what I am trying to say is that one
should focus on what is the longest SSB contact that was made on a given
mode on a given band.  Different modes/bands will yield different "long
distance" contacts.

The contact to DM82 is undoubtedly a good one.  I just looked on the map
and I have never work DM82....so I am jealous....HI HI.  And I am a LOT
closer to DM82 than you are......Congratulations on that one....

73 Marshall K5QE