[VHFcontesting] Consensus: Eliminate "Coherence" [was: The meaning of coherence [was: [VHF] VUAC Seeks Input]

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 5 08:22:35 PST 2009

Here's a perspective, in agreement with the e-mails cited below.

The FCC Rules trump everything.
The ARRL Rules narrow the focus of those rules in order to meet certain objectives.

Duh. Right?

FCC:
Part 97.1 Subpart A: http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/
There are several references to advancing the radio art and the building of electronics competency of the licensee.

ARRL:
Object: To work as many amateur stations in as many different 2 degrees x 1 degree grid squares as possible using authorized frequencies above 50 MHz. Foreign stations work W/VE amateurs only.

So...
The format of the signal source is immaterial as long as it is FCC authorized.  There are no mode restrictions placed in the ARRL rules for their VHF+ contests (with the sole exception of the one we're discussing).

Therefore...
What matters is that (1) the signal can be used for communication in some way AND that (2) it utilizes some sort of electronic scheme in decoding it.  That is "Radio".  1-hz = radio.  470-THz = radio.  But only if it is electronically decoded.

The "electronic decoding" scheme is unlimited.  Decode it to any/all of the following: audible tones, visual indicator, touch stimulator, smell (hmmm...that could be interesting), etc.

I am in favor or removing the "Coherence" restriction.

Ev, W2EV