[VHFcontesting] The meaning of coherence [was: [WSVHF] [VHF] VUAC Seeks Input]

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 13:36:05 PST 2009

I feel people are missing the point. We are talking about amateur radio.
Amateur RADIO. Of course you can copy Morse code sent by a flashlight with
your eyes, but does this relate to RADIO?

You cannot copy Morse code or SSB or any other mode on any other amateur
radio frequencies by directly observing the RF with your eyes and ears.
Microwave equipment can get pretty complex. You can use a phase-locked LO,
preamps, power amps, whatever ... but it's the equipment that is generating
the final message you see or hear. I see observing a flashlight sending
Morse code as analogous to being able to see a 2304 MHz RF signal directly
with my eyes.

Light communication can also be done in the realm of amateur radio. You just
have to figure out how to modulate and demodulate it. Using a flashlight
modulated by a speaker cone as you described may get you 4 grid squares if
you're grid corner circling but that fifth grid is going to be very
difficult to get for VUCC with a flashlight.

I have no doubt that it can be done with lasers and LED's. I would LOVE to
make a light QSO over a 90 mile path via cloud scatter. I believe it's been
done before. LED's are preferable to lasers for propagation through a
turbulent medium (the atmosphere) so I think that is the purpose of the VUAC
request. Possibly to admit LED's along with lasers.
Has anyone actually sent a recommendation to their VUAC rep yet?

73, Zack W9SZ

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 6:28 PM, George Sintchak/WA2VNV <wa2vnv at optonline.net