[VHFcontesting] The meaning of coherence [was: [WSVHF] [VHF] VUACSeeks Input]

Joseph Nieves n2tee73 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 7 18:44:50 PST 2009

George,

The digital modes qualify since the output medium is audible radio waves - not light - which is being received/transmitted.  Same goes for television since the medium is inherently audible as well.  Granted, the final communication is visual since I've never purposely tried to decipher these modes by ear alone  :)

My original thinking was the case for flashing signals with a polished mirror.  While  not defined as radio, it is a valid form of communication - as are the smoke signals I mentioned previously.  A visible laser like emission shone across two mountain peaks at a blackboard can only be deciphered visually since there is no human audible component.

The audio provision seems to me a reasonable theorem, yet it's solely my own and unscientific.  I am not trained in this subject, so my approach is from a layperson's perspective.

Thanks for helping me exercise the gray matter  :)