[VHFcontesting] Contacts using "Light"

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 09:11:17 PST 2009

I don't know if it is a big deal since with light, you don't really need an
amateur radio license to experiment. And how is the FCC going to monitor it?
:-)

But with lasers you generally have a good idea of the center frequency. HeNe
lasers are at 632.8 nm, other lasers usually specify the color (e.g. a lot
of the red ones are at 650 nm).

The width of the HeNe laser line is dependent on how many modes are present
in the signal, which is dependent on the length of the tube. Solid-state
lasers are usually more broadbanded than gas lasers. LED's are more
broadbanded than that.

73, Zack W9SZ