[VHFcontesting] A little off topic

Trent Fleming trent.fleming at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 08:13:29 PST 2009

First, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Season's Greetings to all my friends
on these group.  I have learned so much from so many of you, and for that I
am thankful.

Second, a reminder about the value of seemingly worthless components when we
need a repair.

I've made a habit of keeping "wall warts" from defunct equipment, just
wrapping the cord around it, securing with a rubber band, and keeping them
in a bin in the workshop.  This year, it has paid off for me twice.  First,
I managed to find one that exactly provides the power requirements for my
MFJ tuner's lamp.  Avoided the $ for buying one.  Then, yesterday, I
salvaged the plug from another one to repair the broken power connector on
my son's laptop computer.  Toshiba wanted $49.95 for a replacement power
supply/cord.  Finally, when such devices are not clearly marked, I've used a
silver sharpie to mark the pertinent info on them.

Now you have justification to not throw those things away!

73,

Trent
N4DTF

Trent Fleming