[VHFcontesting] What is accomplished?

Steve Clifford k4gun.r at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 10:33:09 EST 2009

Did you read the soapbox?  What did it sound like?  It sounded exactly like
what K8GP, W4IY and W3SO describe when getting ready for a VHF contest.
What's the problem with that?  They are Multi-multi stations!  They are NOT
single op stations.  Comparing the scores of a multi-op station to that of a
single op is pointless!  Its also pointless to compare this joint effort to
the efforts of individual rovers.

The fact that its pointless is so glaringly obvious that the ARRL came up
with the concept of the Unlimited Rover category.  The multi-op team then
just decided to modify strategy the same way any multi-op group will, in
order to maximize their collective scores.

How about this for a rule change.  Any operator who spends time with a
multi-op group during a VHF contest are allowed to transfer the contacts
they made on the mic, to their own log and submit that in the single op
category.  Why not?  They are the ones turning the antenna and giving the
exchange, right?  So why do we deprive them of the opportunity to win their
single op category?

I got an off-line reply from a guy who thanked me sarcastically for getting
him interested in the grid circling gang.  He loved it.  He had a great
time.  I'm glad he did.  I had a great time when I spent a weekend with W4IY
on their mountaintop.  Its great socialization, plus I learned a lot about
how to run in a contest.  There is a lot to be said that is positive for
multi-op groups and I admire them.

I even admire the efforts of the roving multi-op group in CA.  I think they
do a great job.  I don't want them to stop.  Comparing what they do to what
W1RT, K2TER, AH8M, KK6MC or any of the other conventional rovers do, is
ludicrous.

Read that soapbox and then read up on what the multi-op groups do.  Its the
same thing.  The guys (or gals) on the mic are not always the ones who did
any of the work to get the station on the air.  The scores are set apart
from the rest because of this.  Its not a punishment to multi-op stations to
have them scored as multi-ops.

73
Steve
K4GUN/R