[VHFcontesting] Beating the East Coast monopoly stations

Marshall Williams k5qe at sabinenet.com
Sun Feb 8 16:02:44 EST 2009

Hi Mike, Greg and everyone else on the reflector......

Well guys, I seem to get into QST all OK.  I have yet to win an ARRL VHF
contest(I have two seconds in Jan), although I have won the UHF contest
and the CQ VHF contest.  So it is possible to get into the magazines and
not live in the populated "Golden Corridor".....sarcasm dripping here......

In fact, I live about 22 miles past the boon docks in very rural East
Texas.  There is NO population density here....there is a lot of pine
tree density, but I have never been able to get the trees to pass the
Tech test......SIGH...

I was once told by a real VHF "big boy" that I could beat the East Coast
guys, but that it would take a lot of work.......Here is my estimate.....

1.  Build a serious, first-class VHF/UHF Multi-multi contest station.
Estimated cost $250,000.  Done.
2.  Build many, many 6 band rovers.....real rovers, capable of working
200+ miles on 6M thru 1296--not 1W rovers capable of only working 100ft
across a grid corner.  Estimated cost here is $10,000 each, not counting
the vehicle.  I have three 8-band rovers(6M thru 3456), two 6-band
rovers(6M thru 1296) and three or four small rovers(6M, 2M, and 432).
That is not nearly enough to post a 2+M score.  How many 6 band rovers
would be required????  Well our rovers run a standard 12 grid pattern,
so IF we were able to work them on every band in every grid(which we
can't), we would get 144 QSO points from each rover.  Since we usually
get 250+ multipliers, each rover would give us 36,000 points.  NOW, IF
we could just field 50 of these 6-band rovers, we should get somewhere
around 1.8M points.  If you throw in all the fixed station contacts,
meteor scatter, etc. we would have a 2+M score similar to W2SZ.  NO
PROBLEM!!!!!  Except that this would cost about $500,000 in rover
equipment......Steve at DEMI would be estatic!!!!!  It would also
require 50 dedicated rover ops.
3.  Cultivate many, many good operators to come operate the Multi-multi
station.  I have tried this and I do have some very good ops, but I
never have enough so that everyone can operate AND get plenty of rest.
We need to be able to put new, rested ops in play every 3-4 hours.  So
far, we don't have this.  We also need enough operators to cover the
night-time hours from 9:30PM to 7AM on Sunday morning.  These ops need
to be very good on digital meteor scatter and digital EME.  Usually, we
have to do this with only 2 guys.......2 very tired guys by Sunday at
7AM.  ASIDE:  If any serious VHF ops want to come over here and operate,
you are welcome.  Please contact me off the reflector.
4.  Cultivate many, many good rover ops and get them out running the
bands and the grids.  I have done this too and I have have some very
good rover ops.  I am always working on gettin new guys out
roving....usually starting them with just an IC706 type radio and simple
mag mount antennas for 6M, 2M, and 432.  A few of them are already
asking for 222 gear(what a deal!!).  Finding 50 ops that will go out
with a 6-band rover and work hard for the entire weekend is sort of
problematical(read that as "It Ain't Going to Happen!!), as I live in
the land of very low population.

Still, all this is possible(although VERY unlikely) if I / we wanted to
work hard enough to make it happen.  With enough money and enough
dedicated people, the East Coast monopoly stations could be "frozen out"
in June and Sept as well as in Jan......in January, Mother Nature takes
care of it for me.....HI.  The problem is that no one wants to spend the
time and money required.

FLAME ALERT!!!!   To those of you that just can't wait to flame me on
this, please understand that while all this is possible, it won't
happen.  While everything above is truthful, a good part of it was
written "tongue in cheek".

We are just going to rock along over here doing the best that we can.  I
do try to improve the station every year and I do try very hard to
increase the rover activity, especially among new hams.  I am all about
activity, and I try to promote activity whenever I can.  I have found
that VHF contesting is a very good way to promote activity among the
newer hams in our midst.  They get a chance to go out and actually DO
something.

I will leave you with this thought.....in an effort to help us keep
nipping at the heels of the "east coast monopoly" stations, try to make
sure that you work us in June and Sept.  If you are in the 600-1200mile
range, we should be able to work you using digital meteor scatter on 6M
and maybe on 2M.  If you would just put up a single large yagi or two
medium yagis, we can work you via digital EME.  You get a "rare" grid
and we get one too....what a deal!!   All contacts gratefully
appreciated.......73 Marshall K5QE