[VHFcontesting] Lunch box roving

James Duffey JamesDuffey at comcast.net
Mon Feb 9 22:27:52 EST 2009

Steve - You wrote in part:

  "I just think the rules need (to be) changed to address that reality."
OK you want a rule change. That is fair. Think about what rules you
want changed. It may not be as clear as you think.
Do you want the grid circlers completely eliminated in the Limited and
Classic Rover categories?
Or do you want the rules to place limitations on grid circling so that
their scores are more competitive with the scores of rovers who do not
grid circle?
Or would you like a contest where the scoring is such that grid
circling is an ineffective strategy?
Or would you like the limited rover category limited to only four
specific, stated bands?
Do you want the extra points for microwave contacts reduced or
eliminated?
Think about why you want a rule change. Is it because you are not
competitive with the grid circlers? I know I am not. If the grid
circling rovers only made a tenth the points they currently make, but
could sill grid circle would that make their behavior more accpetable
to you?
Formulate a solution. Make sure it will not introduce more problems
that it will solve. Propose that solution to your ARRL Director, your
VUAC representative, your CAC representative, and to the Chairman of
the PSC, Bruce Frahm, K0BJ.
Simply complaining about a problem will not generally be as effective
as proposing viable alternatives to those who can affect change.
Congratulations on your first place Limited Rover finish in the
September VHF Contest. You put up a very impressive score and one that
is not trivial to achieve when the band is flat. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey