[VHFcontesting] January VHF Sweepstakes

Glen Overby goverby at charter.net
Mon Feb 9 22:34:48 EST 2009

Zack Widup <w9sz.zack at gmail.com> wrote:
> A couple of notes I made to myself were: (1) Find some pens that write in
> temperatures below freezing. The typical ballpoint just won't do that; and

I've heard a story like this somewhere.  Ah, an urban legend:

  http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

I suggest using a pencil.

Maybe a felt-tipped pin will work?

> When it was done, I'd made 36 QSO's total and had 1850 points. It took a
> couple days to recover from finger frostbite. I may or may not do this
> again; if we'd had phenomenal conditions like we did in the August UHF
> contest it would've been worth it. At least in June I don't have the same
> weather to contend with! Just tornadoes.

I felt the same way after roving in sub -10F weather in January 08.  Even
though it was a whole lot warmer this year, I roved one day only and stayed in
the metro area.

Glen, kc0iyt