[VHFcontesting] Lunch Box Roving

Stephen Hicks, N5AC n5ac at n5ac.com
Thu Feb 12 16:28:45 EST 2009

I had some original concerns about this type of contesting, primarily
because I was having to compete in the same class.  We've now separated the
classes so folks doing this are either in the unlimited rover category or
they have a limit of 100 contacts.  If Wayne and his friends are having fun
and it's not messing with the scores/rank of those doing what we might
consider more traditional roving, what's the problem?
Everyone has different motivations in contesting.  Some chase the score,
some the DX, some do it just for the friendship and fun.  I guess if folks
are going to complain about this type of operating, rather than complain
that AT&T might find out that we are grid circling (as if they would know or
care), I'd like to hear how this specifically bothers your operating style
or enjoyment of the contest.  To point to an unknown third party and state
that they might not approve if they knew seems disingenuous ...

Calls for Wayne and company to publish logs has come and gone and Wayne did
publish his logs a few years back.  He made lots of other contacts outside
of his group.

I don't know Wayne personally, but I would like to ask a question those that
are concerned about his operating style:  when was the last time you got
someone involved in roving or microwave contesting that became confident
enough to take a 10-band station in a car a few days after getting a license
and make a bunch of contacts?

I just don't think it's necessary that we all like everyone else's operating
style or reasons to have fun.  Heck I think the guys that put a radio on
stilts in the South Pacific to put a rock with a callsign on the air are
sorta nuts.  I'm not fond of talking to all of the locals on the 2m repeater
about the weather and their plans for the weekend.  But I don't think we
should forbid them from doing those things ...

73,
Steve, N5AC

Message: 1