[VHFcontesting] distance scoring

Ron Hooper w4wa at alltel.net
Thu Feb 12 17:49:10 EST 2009

Like Jim, I am reluctant to get into this thread. The distance base score
conversation seems to pop up about every year, I still have the E-MAILS from
the last time it came up. The conversation gets about to the point it is now
and is dropped after everyone post their views and NOTHING is accomplished.

The contest sponsor, which in this case is the ARRL or CQ magazine, is the
group that has to be convinced to implement the new rules for distance
scoring. Trying to figure out the mechanics of the new rules is pointless
until you have a general agreement from the contesting community that
distance base scoring would enhance the contest.

Perhaps a simple letter to the contest sponsors should be the next step. To
make this happen, someone from this group has to step up to the plate and
prepare it. The letter should include how distance based scoring will
benefit the contesting events. The letter should also include examples of
current distance base scoring and how it has been successful. If there is no
action, the next step would be to have as many people as possible send the
sponsor e-mails asking that distance based scoring be considered. If there
is enough support for distance scoring, the sponsor will likely form an
advisory committee to study the rule change. When all that happens, the
committee can work through the mechanics of the rules by soliciting input
and make a recommendation back to the sponsor.

Ron W4WA