[VHFcontesting] Answers to Questions on Distance Based Scoring

James Duffey JamesDuffey at comcast.net
Thu Feb 12 21:41:51 EST 2009

Glen - You wrote:

"1. Is someone writing a distance based scoring proposal to present to
the VUAC? IMO, the VUAC members themselves do not seem inclined to
push this. I think they would need a proposal in the form of a
proposed set of new rules to get this moving."

I, and I am sure others have suggested this to our ARRL directors, to
members of the VUAC and to others concerned with contesting at ARRL. I
do not think the problem is lack of a sound proposal.

"2. Since the motivation for distance based scoring presented here, is
to "solve" the Grid Circling "problem", why do you think that distance
scoring is going to change that? "

My motivation for the distance based scoring is to provide diversity
to the VHF/UHF contesting community. Currently all the contests are
the same. That distance based scoring discourages grid circling is, I
suppose, a benefit, not the motivation.
There are no multipliers in distance scoring, so grids are only
important to determine the distance worked. Multipliers are the key to
grid circling, they multiply quickly; multipliers on one band multiply
QSOs on other bands. SO scores skyrocket easily. Wiht distance based
scoring there is no multiplying, scores add, contacts made on one band
add to the QSOs on other bands, there is no multiplication. Giving 100
points for each initial contact encourages contacts with many
different stations. Stations with many QSOs with the same station,
like grid circlers, don't get the 100 points for unique stations, so
scores grow more slowly.  The minimum distance requirement also deters
grid circling, as does the requirement to move a minimum distance
before the same station is worked again.

It is good to think about these things. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey