[VHFcontesting] A distance scoring contest

Dan Evans dan.evans at insightbb.com
Fri Feb 13 22:03:40 EST 2009

I have worked scatter with FSK441 with the Rover setup many times.  My
usual setup on 2m is 10 element CC @ 20', with 160 watts.  This is
pretty good up to 600 ~ 800 miles.

Never considered EME, though.  It would seem to me trying to handle an H
frame would be a setup nightmare.  Being a solo Rover I always try to
keep setup as simple as possible.  I currently run 3 bands [used to have
a few years ago...]  all on one push up mast.  I drive to a site, climb
in the bed of the truck, raise the mast, then get back in the cab of the
truck and operate.  When it's time to roll, I lower the mast and go.
Weight and manageability is always critical for a solo Rover.  I like
big yagis so I can span the miles here in the black hole of the midwest,
but I keep them under 12' each so I can still handle everything on my
own.  I need to put up  a few pics of the latest version of the "no
budget Rover", hi hi.

However, if you have a second set of hands and only plan to hit a few
grids, this sounds cool:-)

73
Dan
--
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269 Check out the Rover Resource Page at: