[VHFcontesting] Endorse Rover Rules Revisions EXCEPT the 30 Q Limit

Mike Metroka VHFRover at aol.com
Fri Feb 13 23:38:48 EST 2009

Some, including rovers who I really respect, apparently haven't thought
through the many varied ways that rovers operate before proposing to limit
rover-to-rover Qs from the old unlimited level to the present 100 and now to
30 Qs. It appears that they have their blinders on. I suspect that their
rover plans take them through relatively low population areas which also
have low rover activity. It shouldn't surprise anyone that they experience
very low rover-to-rover Qs. There just aren't many rovers out where they
choose to operate! I encourage rarer grid rover plans (I have done them
myself) as it offers fixed stations rare grid opportunities but don't think
that every rover participates in the same manner.

By choice I am a solo rover (no buddy in the car to help drive, log or
operate). I rove because my home QTH stinks for fixed VHF/UHF operation in
all but one direction (See my poor results in the last January contest!). I
live in a high population area (Chicago suburbs) and have done everything
from 2 grid roves up to 12 grid roves while running up to 6 bands. Any rover
will tell you that a 12 grid rove takes a lot of planning, time, effort and
a little financing. As a result, many rovers including myself cannot afford
to make big rover trips every time out.

So my typical rove covers 6 grids in the Milwaukee/Chicago area. On Saturday
I hit EN53va (2.5 hrs) & EN63ab (1 hrs) then head south to EN62ad (2 hrs)
where I operate until heading home though EN52 for the night. The next
morning I head out again and operate from EN52xc (3 hrs), move to EN51xr (3
hrs), stop at EN61ax (1 hrs), then double back to EN62ad (2.5 hrs) until the
end of the contest. I do very little operation in between my stops.

Now if one of several active Chicago area rovers also participates in the
contest, runs common bands and hits all 4 local grids as they move through
the area, it is easy for the two of us to exceed the proposed 30 Q
rover-to-rover limit (no coordination involved). To exceed the 30 Q limit I
don't have to do anything special other than stick to my schedule and move
to just one other grid while the other rover is still working the local
area.

The VUAC is trying to level the rover playing field but I hope that you see
that the proposed 30 Q limit is going too far. During most contests I would
have to turn down what I consider to be good, legitimate non-trivial
distance Qs with another rover. In my mind this runs against the
foundational guideline of stations working as many other stations as
possible. The new proposed 30 Q limit would encroach on the operation of a
modest rover station. Let's think things through before making rule changes.
Reject the proposed 30 Q rover-to-rover limit and maintain the present 100 Q
limit. I have no issues with the other proposed rule modifications.

Sorry for being long winded.

Respectfully,
Mike WB8BZK/R