[VHFcontesting] A distance scoring contest

Ron Hooper w4wa at alltel.net
Sat Feb 14 11:09:16 EST 2009

Hi Kevin

Thanks for trying to get this group focused into a direction that could
yield some results. I would like to include some basic information.

I think a lot of us old timers remember the reluctance of the ARRL to make
rule changes based on some e-mails or letters without a SUPPORTED
consensus. Prior to 2005/6, the ARRL CAC was the group to contact and
hopefully would work toward a consensus to be presented to the MSC which in
turn went to the BOD.

Since then things have changed. The VHF community now has its own advisory
committee called the VUAC. It is similar to the CAC but is only concerned
with VHF & up contesting. This allows contesting issues to be considered by
other VHF contesters and not by someone that has no idea what is going on
first hand. The VUAC was created by the ARRL BOD and answers to the Program
& Services Committee (PSC).

The ARRL has placed a VUAC member in each of the ARRL sections to solicit
input from the hams living in the division. The VUAC has a chairperson to
gather the information from the other committee members and submit it to the
PSC at different intervals during the year. These reports can be found by
searching the ARRL site to see what issues are being considered or acted on.

I know that my VUAC representative is on this list and reads the threads
concerning the distance scoring and several other issues that I am not
concerned with. There are probably several other VUAC members on this list
and they can be be identified by going to
http://www.arrl.org/contests/vuac.html

I assume you can also contact the ARRL in some way and they will forward
your communication through to the proper person/s that should get it.
Obviously, the more people that contact the ARRL the quicker the distance
scoring rule change study can be impliment.

I am in favor of distance scoring and would like to see the issue studied by
the VUAC to determine if it could enhance the future VHF and up contest.

Ron W4WA