[VHFcontesting] distance contest

James Duffey JamesDuffey at comcast.net
Sat Feb 14 20:56:23 EST 2009

Jim - You wrote:

"Let me just set a couple of things straight here. First, there is a
Contest Advisory Committee (CAC) that is responsible for the HF
contest rules. Since we are talking about VHF contests here they are
not part of this discussion. There is also a VHF UHF Advisory
Committee (VUAC) that is responsible for VHF and up contest rules. You
are completely incorrect in your statement that the VUAC only acts at
the request of the ARRL BoD. Certainly the BoD is one source of input
but we have many others including right here on this reflector. Of the
dozen or so issues that the VUAC has looked at over the past few years
I recall only one originating with the BoD. All of the others were the
result of input from you, the active VHF and up contester. Again, I
just wanted to get the facts straight on that."

There is an additional entity involved. The Program Services Committee
essentially decides what changes will be made in contesting after the
BOD approves the VUAC recommendations and directs the contest
director, KX9X to implement those changes. The PSC has the power to
ignore VUAC recommendations that are made, even after the BOD has
approved the recommendations.
So, in addition to keeping the VUAC apprised of wishes for rule
changes, members should also keep the PSC informed as well as their
Director. Only in this was can the PSC make informed decisions. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey