[VHFcontesting] The Psychology of Contest Participation

aa4zz at aol.com aa4zz at aol.com
Sun Feb 15 13:05:47 EST 2009

The only way to fix it is to explicitly prohibit grid-circling in limited rover
and "classic" rover categories.

This is correct and I and others pointed it out years ago. There are two ways to prohibit Grid circling:

1 Define it and then ban it. While this would be the most definitive the League has always avoided this because it requires a judgement of a contest official. I've never understood this since many of the other rules require judgement as well.

2 Put in rules to make it a nonproductive strategy. For example requiring a wait of several hours to reactivate a previously activated grid. The?rub is that is can also affect the traditional Rover, however it seems to me some inconvenience may be necessary to maintain the purity of the competition.

73 Paul AA4ZZ