[VHFcontesting] The Psychology of Contest Participation

Paul Kiesel k7cw at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 13:41:29 EST 2009

Well, Joe, You seem to have the solution for most things. The problem here, though, is that we are talking about contests. People who enter competitions must realize that they may not win. It is not up to the contest sponsor to make it so a person's esteem is satisfied. The competitor must decide his own course of action based on the rules of the contest, the status of his station and his operating abilities. He should not enter a contest category to win the category if he knows he will lose. Rather, he should enter another category or not enter the contest at all, if his intent would be to win. Changing the rules because people find "loopholes and abuse them" is fine. But, let's not be changing the rules because people feel they are "being cheated." People don't lose contests because they are being cheated. They lose them because of poor choice of contest category, ineffective equipment or deficient operating tactics, or any combination of the three.

A solution for achieving high esteem: If you find that you probably won't win, Drop back and consider just having fun by competing with those whom you have similar circumstances, try to improve on previous scores that you've made or just have fun in the activity by participating.

73,
Paul, K7CW
K7CW