[VHFcontesting] The Psychology of Contest Participation

Paul Kiesel k7cw at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 15:44:35 EST 2009

People enter competitions for whatever reason. Fairness is not the problem here for two reasons: 1) The same rules apply to everyone entering a contest category and 2) there is no level playing field (and will never be any) in VHF contesting (as a consequence of geography).

If you enter a category where you know you will be competing with someone who will blow your socks off, it's not a matter of someone picking on you.

When it comes to human nature in contests, well, expect others to try to beat you. Then make the best decision that you can in choosing that category.

What makes me smile is the efforts people go to to fix something that doesn't affect them in the slightest. They get their back up, sweat and wring their wrists about something that someone else does within the rules that will never affect them personally.

73,
Paul, K7CW