[VHFcontesting] The Simple Fix [was: The Psychology of ContestParticipation]

Mike Metroka VHFRover at aol.com
Sun Feb 15 16:37:28 EST 2009

Ev proposed: Once a Rover begins operation from a new Grid-4 (as evidenced
by logging a "first QSO" from that Grid-4), it may not resume operation from
any previously activated Grid-4 for the remainder of the contest.

Hi Ev,
   Often roads that Rovers travel between grid corners are not straight and
those roads often weave back and forth between two adjacent grids. This
proposal would curtail some rover operations while the rover was in motion
thus limiting rover availability to fixed stations.

   A rover plan that I often use has me doubling back on a grid near the end
of the contest that I had already activated the evening before. I also often
double back to my home grid on Saturday night to get some rest and again
near the end of the contest so that my drive home doesn't keep me out too
late (work in the morning).

   I can't go along with this proposal.
73
Mike WB8BZK/R