[VHFcontesting] rover rules

stanka1ze at aol.com stanka1ze at aol.com
Tue Feb 24 15:51:35 EST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: stanka1ze at aol.com
To: stanka1ze at aol.com
Sent: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 3:47 pm
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] rover rules

Ev,

I agree, we should just cut through all of the BS and fix the problem.

As a member of the community of contesters, I can not see how perfecting grid circling

benefits either the entrant, the contest, or the hobby. I would be in favor of a rule forbidding the practice.

If we allow it to continue, we are only condoning it and encouraging all classes of Rovers to

make it part of their operating strategy in order to be competitive. It may be pretty cool to

make 16 qso's per band in 1 intersection, but not as cool as putting a really difficult

contact in the log that you really had to work for.

I do understand and agree that Wayne has not only played the game to the letter of the law, but He has also

spent a small fortune doing it.

Stan

Message: 1

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:17:40 -0800 (PST)

From: Ev Tupis <w2ev at yahoo.com>

To: VHF Contesting eMail Remailer <vhfcontesting at contesting.com>

Hi Jim,

In regard to "absurdly high scores generated by re/contacting a small number of

participants...and being rewarded for doing so, publicly", there are several

"fixes" that can be applied.  I've suggested several over the years,

including...

(a) enforce existing rules that infer the practice of contacting

    only a small number of stations is not the purpose of the contest

(b) define the practice of "grid circling" and ban it

(c) limit the ability for rovers to re-activate grids

Though all three suggestions would work to reach a "fix", they have met with

considerable resistance (often from different audiences).  The resistance is

usually associated with past practices that would have be modified, while the

problem is "fixed".

The discussion seems to be caught in "engineering purgatory".  It is the place

where everyone likes to "tweak" without ever reaching a final, stable state. :)

I'm ok with that, too. :))

Regards,

Ev, W2EV

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above.  See yours in just 2 easy steps!