[VHFcontesting] Grid square beam headings

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 11:11:31 EST 2009

Wingrid is great if you have the grid squares, preferably the 6-character
grids for both ends of the QSO.  I used it in the 10 GHz contest.

If you have a massive 432 array I can see getting the exact beam heading a
necessity, but my 15 element beam which I use for portable operation seems
to hear the other station if I can get within maybe 10 degrees or so. Then
it's just a matter of peaking on the signal.

In the 2008 ARRL UHF contest I experienced a phenomenal tropo opening (to me
anyway) and worked up to 500 miles all the way through 10 GHz. I had no
trouble on the microweave bands once I had the dish peaked on 2304 (I had
the widest beam width on that band).

73, Zack W9SZ