[VHFcontesting] Common rover frequency

John D'Ausilio jdausilio at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 17:57:32 EST 2009

sounds like rover nirvana has been achieved ;)  Unfortunately I think
it would only work when roving around a central activity center with a
small number of fixed stations. In the summer VHF 'tests in the
Northeast Corridor 144 Mhz is pretty well packed from .170-ish well up
towards .300

Different area of the country require different strategies, as many
before me have observed. Up here we have a large number of
participants and a lot of water paths and accessible mountains within
range of those participants so the rover can benefit from camping out
somewhere well-known and making a lot of noise. If we arrive at a spot
and someone's on or near .247 then we just squeeze in wherever we can
nearby and people who are looking for us will find us. 5 kHz spacing
would be wonderful, but sometimes it's tough ..

de w1rt/john