[VHFcontesting] Multi-op interferance on IF freqs

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Mon Jan 26 16:20:11 EST 2009

Hello Paul,
I always try to use a minimum of power at the IF frequency, whether it be
28, or 144 MHz. 1 milliwatts causes less trouble than 10 watts.  After that,
you need to shift the IF on the MWs away from 144 MHz. It is also a great
idea to get the 144 antenna as far away from the microwaves as is possible.
When I had the 5/10 GHz rig on the same tower as the 144 antenna it was a
bummer. Even with hardline IF lines, the 144 QRM was too much. Besides
physically moving 144 away, the change to 145 or another IF helps a lot. We
are using 145 and 147 MHz to keep IFs separated between stations. Face it, a
KW on 144 can get into almost any IF cable on the same frequency. Most coax
has about 95-100 dB shielding. 1500 watts is + 61.8 dBm, so any leakage
could be very loud anywhere near a 144.100 MHz microwave IF!!
    Finally, you must invest in suitable filters to keep the QRO bottom four
from hitting the higher bands. 3 X 432 bothers 1296. 4 X 222 bothers 903
etc. Putting stubs on the preamps will help as well.  Good grounding of IF
lines will help. We use 3/8" heliax for 144 MHz IF lines running up to tower
mtd boxes. High power filters can be a problem. There is a good 144 MHz
filter using teflon board caps that handles 1500 watts OK. I made a third
harmonic 432 filter to protect 1296. It was double stub teflon coax
construction. I got over 100 dB notch at 1296.3 MHz. I use a big surplus
filter on the 222 amp as well. I found it on eBay!
    Lastly, you will still need input filtering on your receivers on all the
bands. They protect frontends from huge amounts of power that sneaks down
your feedline when running a KW a few feet away from your antenna. When you
get it all working, operating a multi op station gets to be fun.

Dave K1WHS