[VHFcontesting] [VHF] VUCC Card Checking Question

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Wed Jan 28 17:45:23 EST 2009

Again, I apologize. I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest. My only
interest is in getting valid confirmations that will be accepted.

To be honest, this thing fails the "common sense" test. How would a card
checker know the difference between a card that was printed by EQSL and
mailed to me, and one that was printed and mailed to me by the station
itself? I get cards that are created on a computer and printed on ink jet
stock often.

As for the "cheating" element, I don't get that either. If you wanted to
cheat on a 10ghz VUCC it would be easy. Find another ham with questionable
honor, throw up some dishes, take a few photos, and send it the cards. Who'd
ever know? The answer is easy... I would know. Cheating to win an award,
contest, whatever spoils the fun. Didn't we all learn that in 1st grade. And
besides, at the end of the day it's a piece of paper on the wall. It's worth
nothing except to other hams...and worth less if you had to cheat to earn
it.

I do include SASE's with all my QSL's, and yes, I make sure to let them know
that I need their grid for VUCC. But still the return rate is low. I've
recently gotten a QSL manager, so maybe things will improve.

In any event, I've taken up too much bandwidth already.

73 and again, thanks for the advice.

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park