[VHFcontesting] [VHF] Another antenna question

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 1 19:28:45 PDT 2009

> Therefore I am now thinking about running a simple Hamstick
> dipole setup for 6 meters since a loop is nothing more than
> a dipole with the ends folded around into a loop/square.

<snip>

> It should work as well as a loop, shouldn't it?

Jacob,
Every antenna has its' own characteristics and trade-offs.  You must first decide what you want to accomplish.  Then, use the antenna that gets you to that goal.

A halo radiates equally well (within a dB or so) in all directions.  It is a bit more complex to build. See: http://www.macnaughtonart.com/halo.htm

A dipole radiates better, broadside to the antenna (a dB better than a halo) and poorer off the ends (several dB's lower than a halo).  It is the easiest of all antennas to build. See: http://www.wx7s.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/necwinazimuthal.jpg

Which will meet your goals?  Only you can decide.

Good luck,
Ev, W2EV