[VHFcontesting] KG6IYN - 2009 CQ WW VHF Contest Plans

Bruce Kripton bkripton at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 12 14:47:50 PDT 2009

KG6IYN contest plans for the upcoming weekend ... CQ WW VHF Contest !!

Location - either DM12tu or DM12rr, TBD :-)

Planned operations, Single Operator, All Bands (yes, all two:-), Pair of M2 6M7-JHV's Horizontal, Pair of Cushcraft 50-5's Vertical, Pair of Cushcraft 13B2's Horizontal, possibly M2 2M5WL's stacked. I will also have vertical omni's for 6 and 2, likely have a yagi or two on 2 meters vertical as well ...

All Modes including Digital (PSK and WSJT), SSB on or near calling frequencies if there's no openings or little activity, FM 52.525, 146.55. If the band is open (fingers crossed) or calling frequencies too crowded, then look for me +/- he QRM :-). Generally, on 2 meters, it'll be 144.180 or 144.220, on 6 meters, generally 50.135 and up ... (remember, here in the Southern California "RF Desert", operators are generally not frequency agile, including Rovers, so most activity is on or near the calling frequencies - yes, I know, sad but true).

With conditions over the past month on 6 meters in to Southern California, I'm guardedly optimistic for this upcoming weekend. In the past month, from the ARRL June VHF Contest and the recent Field Day,  On these two past weekend events I have worked into Central Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska,  most of the Canadian Provinces, the Northeast corner of the US and into Florida as well as the Keys ....  heard JL's, but no joy - have to see if we can make that happen this coming contest weekend.

Hope to hear and work you ! - '73, de KG6IYN