[VHFcontesting] Contemplating some digital activity during the UHF contest?

Jeff Thomas wa4zko at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 10:43:56 PDT 2009

For the digital gurus on the list....

I'm digging out my rigblaster and hope to get on some of the digital modes for this weekend's UHF contest. I'll probably only be on 220 FM and 432 Saturday evening and maybe Sunday morning.

Few questions though:

I'm assuming 432.150 seems to be the PSK31 hangout on 432?

432.150 good for WSJT (JT44, WSPR, so forth) ?

Hesitant to ask this out of fear of starting a "my mode is better than yours" war, but what ACTUALLY WORKS BEST during contests...WSJT, PSK31, and so on? Technical superiority arguments are one thing, but what's actually working for you during contests?

Seems to me that the contest community settling on one mode would be the wise route to go down? Maybe this is already the case and I just missed it?

Maybe choosing some "contest calling freqs" up off the usual digital calling freqs would be a good idea? Remember, not everyone on the band is contesting.

Just some thoughts/questions, so be gentle. If you reply to the list, please copy (cc) me at my email address (call @ yahoo.com)

73
Jeff
WA4ZKO